Thursday, July 23, 2020

Controlling Your Emotions

                                     

In the middle of my bike ride today it started pouring down rain. I knew i had two choices, be grumpy that i was soaking wet and let it ruin my ride, or laugh and embrace it. I chose the later. I enjoyed the rest of my bike ride and was thankful for the rain cooling me off on a hot day.

This lesson can be applied to everything in life. We can't control a lot of things in our lives, especially with everything going on right now. But we can control how we respond and react to the situations that we find ourselves in. I have found that looking for the positive, even when it its hard is the most beneficial thing to do. By getting upset you're only hurting yourself and possibly making the situation worse. That is why I called this blog you are in control. It reminds me that I have a choice in how I feel about the situations, struggles and challenges that I face every day. If I want to be happy I just have to choose to do so. 

This can be applied to recovery from an eating disorder.  You might not be happy with where you are right now in your recovery process, but you need to be able to find happiness in the journey. It isn’t going to be easy, you are still going to have bad days, I know I do. But life will be so much more enjoyable if you focus on all of the positives and stop obsessing over food and working out. I know my family enjoys spending time with me more now that I'm not constantly talking about food and working out. With less of those obsessive thoughts running through my mind 24/7 I can actually enjoy the moment and be part of it instead of keeping to myself and worrying.

If I'm having negative thoughts I find it helpful to write in my journal, talk back to my eating disorder with my "healthy self", or talk to someone else. What helps you get rid of negative thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Big Changes Start With Small Steps

  I had a major win last night. I woke up hungry, which means I didnt eat enough during the day for the amount of energy that I expended. Us...